Legends of Runeterra Expeditions Guide: All Cards and Archetypes of The Rising Tides Expansion
(UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.2) Below is the official list of all the archetypes and the cards that belong to their respective ‘seeding packs’. The original spreadsheet is provided by the Expeditions mode design lead Paul Sottosanti.
Currently there are 32 supported archetypes in the LoR limited format. There are 7 mono-region archetypes, and each combination of the two regions has its own primary archetype (21). Expeditions also have 4 additional archetypes that are a bit more off the beaten path – Crimson Guard, Fishbones, Fluft and Tuft and Cataclysm. These bonus archetypes only show up half as often as the primary archetypes during the initial Champion Picks.
Each archetype has either one or two champions that are assigned to it and a various number of cards. There are also two additional tuning values to each archetype that correct their rate of appearance during darfts:
- Cohesiveness Rating: Some archetypes are full of generically useful cards, while others like Shadows and Dust consist of mostly cards that are more dependent on one another. Cohesiveness Rating is a tuning value that allows us to control how quickly a particular archetype will be disallowed from showing up in Wild Picks when your deck doesn’t include any cards from that archetype, since you’d be highly unlikely to be interested in them anyway;
- Wild Pick Bonus Chance: This is another tuning value that allows us to increase the frequency with which you’ll see an archetype during your Wild Picks, but only during drafts where it’s your primary archetype. So for an archetype like Shroom and Boom that’s dependent on having plenty of mushroom-related cards to end up with a synergistic deck, taking a couple packs from it early will ensure you’ll see lots more of them throughout the draft.
History of Changes
Noxian Might, at its core, is supposed to be about 5+ Power units and nexus damage overwhelming the opponent in the midgame. Given that, we’re weakening its early game so you’ll have to dip into other archetypes if you want to start threatening your opponent on turn 1.
- Removed: Legion Rearguard
Scrapheap is getting a minor tweak to enable Insightful Investigator a bit more.
- Added: Academy Prodigy
- Removed: Rising Spell Force
Total Recall hasn’t been all that successful lately, so we’re removing some of the slower and more inconsistent cards in favor of some solid removal options.
- Added: Thermogenic Beam, Statikk Shock
- Removed: Unlicensed Innovation, Shady Character, Shadowshift
First, we’ve removed the bonus chance to see Rising Tides archetypes, so all primary archetypes will now have the same chance of showing up in the initial Champion Picks.
- Rising Tides archetypes no longer twice as likely to appear in initial Champion Picks.
We’ve also begun using trade pick data to improve the quality of the trades that the shopkeeper is offering, and we’ll continue doing so across patches going forward, even when it isn’t specifically called out.
With regards to balance, we’ve been relatively happy with where the new archetypes have landed (yes, even Deep), although one region in particular has continued to stand out as a formidable choice: Demacia. With that in mind, rather than focusing nerfs on a particular archetype, we’re adjusting almost all of the archetypes from that region with the goals of reducing consistent access to efficient statlines and increasing the prevalence of situational utility cards.
- Added: For Demacia!, Ranger’s Resolve, Reckless Trifarian
- Removed: Greathorn Companion, Grizzled Ranger, Trifarian Hopeful, Vanguard Sergeant
- Added: Chronicler of Ruin, En Garde, Hapless Aristocrat, Mobilize, Purify
- Removed: Absorb Soul, Ancient Crocolith, Back to Back, Scribe of Sorrows
Scout it Out
- Added: Chain Vest, For Demacia!, Mobilize, Ranger’s Resolve
- Removed: Back to Back, Vanguard Sergeant, War Chefs, Ye Been Warned
- Added: Blinding Assault
- Removed: Greenglade Lookout, Grizzled Ranger, Herald of Spring, Laurent Protege, Sonic Wave, War Chefs
- Added: Detain, En Garde, Plucky Poro, Radiant Strike, Ranger’s Resolve, Scarthane Steffen
- Removed: Alpha Wildclaw, Greathorn Companion, Loyal Badgerbear, Riposte, Single Combat
- Added: Vi
- Removed: Ezreal
- Added:Black Spear, Hapless Aristocrat, Shady Character, The Rekindler
- Removed: Brood Awakening, Funsmith, Deadbloom Wanderer, Trail of Evidence
- Added: Darius, Navori Highwayman, Jeweled Protector, Shadow Assassin
- Removed: Swain, Ghost, Retreat, Scaled Snapper
- Added: Gotcha!, Hired Gun, Monkey Idol, Mystifying Magician, Patrol Wardens, Shellshocker, Thermogenic Beam
- Removed: Boomcrew Rookie, Brash Gambler, Jury-Rig, Pocket Aces, Sump Dredger, Vault Breaker, Zaunite Urchin
- Fishbones champion packs will now always include both Jagged Taskmaster and Professor von Yipp. This may force you into a tri-region deck, which is a known issue we’ll fix in a future patch.
Grand Moments (previously Spellbound)
- Added: For Demacia!, Redoubled Valor
- Removed: Riposte, Vanguard Sergeant
Shadows and Dust
- Added: Yusari
- Removed: Claws of the Dragon, Deep Meditation, Eye of the Dragon, Mark of the Isles, Rush, Sonic Wave
Smash and Grab
- Added: Eager Apprentice, Hired Gun, Jaull Hunters, Lure of the Depths
- Removed: Boomcrew Rookie, Brash Gambler, Pick a Card, Pilfered Goods, Rummage, Salvage, The Beast Below
- Added: Deny, Ki Guardian, Pocket Aces, Spirit’s Refuge, Ye Been Warned, Yordle Grifter
- Removed: Bubble Bear, Greenglade Duo, Razorscale Hunter, Shipwreck Hoarder
- Added: Stalking Wolf
- Removed: Ruthless Raider
- Added: Shadow Assassin, Horns of the Dragon
- Removed: Recall, Guile, Shadowshift, Brash Gambler, Funsmith, Insightful Investigator
- Removed: Unyielding Spirit
- Added: Vanguard Firstblade, En Garde
- Added: Keeper of Masks
- Removed: Recall, Shadowshift, Retreat
First to the Draw
- Added: Jagged Butcher, Slotbot
- Removed: Brash Gambler, Hunting Fleet, Pick a Card
Shroom and Boom
- Added: Patrol Wardens
- Removed: Amateur Aeronaut
Terrors from the Deep
- Added: Golden Narwhal, Hunting Fleet
- Removed: Hired Gun, Darkwater Scourge
- Added: Amateur Aeronaut, Windfarer Hatchling
- Removed: Used Cask Salesman,